Housing Minister Threatens to Terminate Abandoned N5bn Housing Project in Yobe

uploads/images/newsimages/KatsinaTimes21052026_183843_Screenshot_20260521-185316.jpg



By Zaharaddeen Ishaq Abubakar (Katsina Times)

Nigeria’s Minister of Housing and Urban Development, Muttaqa Rabe Darma, has threatened to terminate contracts awarded to non-performing contractors handling federal housing projects across the country, following the poor state of an ongoing housing estate project in Yobe State.

The minister spoke with journalists on Thursday during an inspection visit to a federal housing project in Yobe State, where he expressed dissatisfaction over delays and what he described as the abandonment of the project despite contractual agreements.

According to him, the housing scheme is part of the Federal Government’s national housing programme initiated in 2021 to address accommodation deficits and expand access to affordable housing for Nigerians.

Engr. Darma said the contractors handling the project had signed agreements to complete the work within four months after commencement but had only achieved about 40 per cent completion after more than a year and a half.

“It is pathetic and cannot be tolerated,” the minister said, adding that the Federal Ministry of Housing and Urban Development would investigate the circumstances surrounding the delays and take decisive action against defaulting contractors.

“We are not going to continue with business as usual in this ministry. Any contractor who fails to meet contractual obligations risks termination,” he stated.

The minister disclosed that the Federal Government currently has about 18,000 housing units under construction across the country, aimed at providing accommodation opportunities for thousands of Nigerian families.

He lamented that many of the housing projects remain uncompleted and unsubscribed because of prolonged delays and abandonment by contractors.

“No Nigerian should hear that a housing project meant for the people has been abandoned after public funds have been committed to it,” he said.

Engr. Darma further stressed that contractors must honour the terms of agreements signed with the government, noting that financial challenges cannot serve as justification for failure to deliver projects within agreed timelines unless official extensions are sought.

“If a contractor knows there are funding constraints, the proper thing is to apply for extension or renegotiate the terms. But you cannot sign a contract to complete a project in four months and still abandon it after over a year,” he added.

The minister revealed that the entire housing project inspected in Yobe was valued at about N5 billion, describing it as taxpayers’ money that must be protected and properly utilised.

He also expressed dissatisfaction with the quality of some completed portions of the project, particularly the roads within the estate, where he said several defects had already been observed.

Although parts of the road infrastructure had been completed, the minister said the contractors would be compelled to return to site and correct all identified deficiencies before final approval and release of retention funds.

“I am not satisfied at all. Only a small portion of the work has been completed, and even that has noticeable lapses,” he said.

The inspection formed part of the minister’s ongoing nationwide assessment of federal housing projects aimed at ensuring accountability, quality delivery, and compliance with contractual standards under the ministry.

Follow Us